AdLit PD — Free Resources For Schools and Districts
On this page we describe and link to resources that we recommend for your school.
- Adolescent Literacy Professional Development Modules, through the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education: We are happy to offer free downloads of these materials. In order to access these materials you will need to register at http://adlitpd.org/phpbb3/ucp.php?mode=register. At this link you will first be asked to be polite (click “I agree to these terms”) and then you will be asked to select a username and password and provide some information about your school. If you have any trouble registering please contact email@example.com. As soon as you are done with the registration, you will have access to the latest versions of the materials.
- Word Generation: “A middle school academic language program… designed to create a coherent school-wide effort that gives students the sustained exposure to academic language they need for success in school.” Visit the Word Generation website to download free teachers’ guides, student booklets, see classroom footage, and read research about academic language instruction.
- Carnegie Survey: This survey tool is free for teachers and administrators. It provides school- and classroom-level reports on literacy instructional practices and beliefs. We at AdLit PD believe that it is critical to collect this kind of school- and classroom-level information before collaborating with schools/districts to provide high-quality, targeted professional development.
- Continuum of Discussion Protocols: This series of PowerPoint slides is intended to help district- and school-based coaches and teacher leaders consider how they might introduce structured discussions into professional development work. Many of the protocols referenced in the slides can be found on the sites listed below under “protocols and coaching tools.”
Links to Resources We Recommend
Adolescent Literacy Articles, Strategies, Tools
- Adlit.org — Strategies, Research, Resources
- Doing What Works Clearinghouse — Adolescent Literacy
- Ohio Resource Center — Adolescent Literacy Video Clips for PD
- Colorin Colorado — Resources for Adolescent English Language Learners
- Just Read Now (FL) — Reading Strategies
Protocols and Tools for Adult Collaboration / Guiding Student Work
- School Reform Initiative
- Project Zero’s Visible Thinking Routines
- National School Reform Faculty
- Literacy Coaching Clearinghouse — Tools for Literacy Coaches